Sleep is my best health tonic. Warm creamy drinks before bedtime set me up for a good night’s sleep. As winter sets in with a week of wet, cold and cosy weather, this sleep and stress tonic from Ascension Kitchen is the perfect nourishing tonic.
The main herbal ingredient is the Ayurvedic herb Ashwagandha, a rejuvenator and stress adaptogen. It’s bitter and astringent, sweet and warm energetic qualities make it helpful for reducing VATA and KAPHA imbalances of the nervous system – stress, anxiety, sleep disturbances.
- 1 cup of water
- 2 heaped tablespoons raw macadamia nuts
- A teaspoon of raw Manuka honey or pinch of monkfruit
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 pinches of nutmeg powder
- 2 pinches of cardamon powder
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1/3 – ½ vanilla bean or 3 drops of vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon ashwagandha root powder equivalent to 1g available from health food shop
Add all ingredients in a blender and whizz till smooth and creamy. Transfer to a pot and heat gently. To serve, add grated nutmeg, rose petals and a hazelnut bliss ball and double the recipe for two!