I consider all soups and stews, anything slow cooked as soul food. So much love and presence goes into the slow ministrations of a simmering pot of chicken soup – a stir here, a taste there, a handful of herbs…
Like other bone based soups and broths, this soup is a collagen injection. Collagen is the glue that supports your muscles, skin, bones, and tendons and your main ally in menopause. It strengthens your skin, gives it elasticity, and helps replace dead skin cells. Wrinkles beware!
This verbal recipe was passed onto me by Lee from All Natural Meat Company, ethical and sustainable farmers in the foothills of Mt Warning.
- 2-3 organic chicken frames depending on size of chicken
- 1 knob of ginger, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 sticks of celery with green leafy tops, chopped
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 1 TBS of homemade vegetable stock concentrate
- 10 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- Handful of tarragon
- 1 TBS of vinegar
- Water to cover
Place all ingredients into a slow cooker and simmer for 6-24 hours; the longer the cooking the better the flavour. Serve with handfuls of parsley in front of an open fire.